Over half the people alive today are on social media, with about 4.14 billion people total. That's an enormous number, showing the high degree of influence these platforms provide. It also shows how powerful advertising can be in reaching your customers.
Social media marketing is a tool. Like any tool, you must know how to use it properly to achieve the results you want. With that in mind, how can you make your marketing strategy a smashing success? Here are six key social media marketing tips you need to implement today.
1. Remain Consistent
A consistent presentation of your brand is key across all marketing channels, including social media. It’s essential in terms of tone, message content, and even timing. Consistent brands are worth an average of 20% more than their inconsistent counterparts. They’re able to stay in front of their audiences and be top of mind when customers make purchasing decisions.
Plan your posts to make it easier to stay consistent on all of your social media accounts. Here are a few practical ways you can make it happen:
- Post regularly: Adhere to a consistent posting schedule, whether that involves posting monthly, weekly, or daily. By staying consistent with when you post, you'll educate your target demographic when new content is available. In turn, this will keep them coming back for more.
- Keep the same visual elements in your posts: Include your company logo and perhaps a specific on-brand color scheme. Think about H&R Block's green, black, and white palette as one example of consistent brand presentation.
- Maintain consistency in your tone and content: You want your brand to have a personality when posting on social media. What you don't want is to give your brand multiple personalities! That's why you need to stick to the same tone and messaging (to a reasonable degree) as you market on social media. For example, B2B companies may be more professional in their copy, whereas some B2C companies may be very casual.
2. Engage With Your Audience
One of social media’s most significant advantages is how well it allows you to engage with your audience. You can reach people both in individual-to-individual situations and business-to-consumer interactions. With that in mind, proactively seek out ways to increase engagement with your audience. Respond to as many follower comments as possible. Even a prompt, courteous response to a negative comment can enhance your brand's credibility in the eyes of other users.
3. Create Highly Targeted Content for Your Audience
When you're using any marketing channel, one of your key objectives is to reach the right people with your messaging. If not most, marketers utilize buyer personas (aka "customer profiles") to learn who their audience is and design their posts accordingly.
It's not enough to simply identify who makes up your target audience. Your content needs to be specifically geared towards their needs, concerns, and interests. Empathize with the customer and take the perspective of your users. Focus on how your product or service can benefit them in practical ways.
Once you have this viewpoint, it will be that much easier to develop content that resonates with your audience and ultimately drives conversions and sales.
4. Cross-Promote on Different Platforms
Don’t forget about the cross-promotional opportunities social media provides. You’re using this as an advertising platform. Use it to promote your brand to the fullest extent possible without overwhelming customers. Use your Twitter feed to promote articles you've published on LinkedIn, or talk up your Instagram account on Facebook. Cross-promoting is a great way to increase brand awareness and drive prospects down the "awareness stage" of the sales funnel.
5. Use Different Types of Content
Posting the same type of content day after day, week after week, is easy but will likely not generate the same kind of interest and enthusiasm that "mixing things up" would. Variety increases your chances of social media marketing success. Incorporating images and video into your posts will help your content stand out and gain attention. Video is an increasingly popular tool marketers are investing more in. At least 54% of consumers have stated they want to see more video content from their favorite brands.
6. Drive All Followers to Your Website
Always keep in mind the goal of your posts is to drive traffic to your website. Social media is an excellent avenue for building brand awareness and engaging with your target audience. Ultimately you need leads to visit your website and convert into paying customers. Make sure always to link back to your home page or a specific landing page on your site. Promote your website's content vigorously.
Leverage Social Media Marketing for Growth Today
Social media marketing is a highly effective way to drive business for your brand. It offers unparalleled reach, the opportunity for broad engagement, and countless promotional opportunities. Using a media partner helps ensure your messaging will stand out and turns your efforts into growth.